The above is an example of a page marked for deletion using the Delete template.. The username and date are auto saved by the template, and the page is tagged as stage:delete which automatically adds it to the To Do: Delete list.
When to Mark a Page for Deletion
Users may not delete pages, only Docs Group and Admins can. However, any logged in user may use the Delete template to mark a page, or even a section of content, for deletion whenever a page appears to be completely obsolete or no longer relevant to our Wiki.
In some cases the content of the page should be retained, such as when a feature becomes obsolete, but users may still be searching for it. In these cases the page can be deprecated using the Deprecate template.
Normally, if content is out of date, you should mark the page, or sections, for update using the Delete template.
How to Mark a Page or Content for Deletion
You may mark a page for deletion by using the Delete template:
- Position your cursor where the deletion is required:
- page - insert at the top of the page if the entire page should be deleted.
- section - insert at the top of the section beneath the section heading.
- text - insert where you wish the template to display in the text.
- In the Editor, select the Template button.
- From the drop down Templates box, select the Delete template.
- For a page or section - delete either the page or section text in the template box.
- For text - copy and paste the text to delete into the box
- Add a note to the box about what why this page or content should be removed.
- If you make a mistake - Cancel/undo - CTRL+Z to cancel, or the Undo (back arrow) on Edit Menu, and insert the template again correctly.
- If further discussion or elaboration is required, you may add it to the related Talk page - Wiki Menu > More > Talk Page.
Note: Tags will automatically be inserted. DON'T DELETE these tags as they are used to auto generate our To Do Lists.
The template will automatically add a tag stage:delete so the page will appear automatically in our To Do: Delete list.