- Interface: Serial ATA II 3.0Gbps
- Drive capacity: 500GB
- Rotational speed: 7200 rpm
- Acoustics idle: 2.7 Bel
- Acoustics random read/write: 2.9 Bel
- Power consumption idle: 8,2 W
- Power consumption seek: 10,6 W
- Max. 167GB Formatted Capacity per Disk
- Serial ATA 3.0 Gbps Interface Support
- SATA Native Command Queuing Feature
- Device Initiated SATA Power Management
- Staggerd Spin-up Support
- High Speed Dual DSP Based Architecture
- ATA S.M.A.R.T Compliant
- ATA Automatic Acoustic Management Feature
- ATA 48-bit Address Feature
- ATA Streaming Feature(Optional)
- ATA Device Configuration Overlay Feature
- SilentSeek ™
- ImpacGuard ™
If you need lots of space for your media have a look at this pretty cheap and silent drive.
I have bought quite some HDDs from samsung during the last 3 years. And somehow it seems that i am not compatible with them.
Because 8 of 12 Samsungs HDDs i own(ed) died. Some had broken sectors, some had failing mechanics and one had broken electronics. (And NO, i did not throw them on the floor )
If that happens to you then you will curse 2 things:
- The SHUtil HDD testool. Every manufaturer offers a tool to check your HDD if it is okay or not.
This "tool" from samsung is not even able to do a full surface scan. It can only do "random surface scanning". Which means that (like in my case) it will never find the broken sectors.
- The RMA support. Well Samsung has one, but you can not send the HDD directly. it works like this
customer -> reseller -> distributor -> samsung and then all the way back
So you see, that can take some time. in my case 1-3 months.
- All those issues are the reason why i am back to Seagate. They cost more but:
- In 10 years i have bought 28 HDDs from Seagate and only 3 failed.
- They have decent HDD check tools which perform all required tests and even tell you if the HDD is about to fail.
- You can send your broken HDD directly to the Seagate RMA center. Which means you usualy get it back in ~14 days
- I know many ppl love those Samsung drives and have no problems at all. Here they do not work that good