- My Page
- Recent changes
- Watched Pages
- My Preferences
- RSS feeds
- Save as PDF
- Popular pages
- Wiki Help
4 TV Guide: DVB-T/Freeview HD
FreeviewHD DVB-T EPG Setup
This page will show you how to setup the TV Guide (EPG) for Freeview HD DVB-T (Digital Terrestrial) . This will give you 7-10 days worth of tv guide using the data that is broadcast via DVB-T, the tvserver does not need internet access as all the data is from the DVB-T signal. You should do this after you have scanned all the channels and mapped them to all your tv tuners (if more than one tuner). TV-Server also has a built in DVB-T epg grabber, however using epgcollector and this guide provides a more robust and reliable EPG.
Step 1 - Download XMLTV.DTD
Download xmlvtv.dtd and save it to c:\epg\xmltv.dtd
Step 2 - Install EPG Collector
Download EPG Collector from http://sourceforge.net/projects/epgcollector/files/?source=navbar
Click Files, then click on the highest version number (Currently this is V4.1)
Choose to download the installer package eg. "EPG Collector V##### Install.msi"
Run the EPG Collector Installer and install to the default location
32bit C:\Program Files\Geekzone\EPG Collector\
64bit C:\Program Files (x86)\Geekzone\EPG Collector\
Now install the latest fix pack eg. "EPG Collector v#.# FixPack #.zip"
Step 3 - Configure EPG Collector
CREATE COLLECTION PARAMETERS
Run EPG Center (Start -> All Programs -> EPG Collector -> EPG Center)
Click File -> Create Collection Parameters
Choose "New Zealand - Terrestrial Freeview - Auckland"
Note: It doesn't matter if your not in Auckland, we will customise this
1. Select the tuner(s) you want to use
2. Select the area you are in
3. Click Add
4. At the bottom of the page under Selected scanning frequencies delete the providor you are not using
(ie if you added Christchurch, then there will also be a providor called Auckland which you need to delete)
1. Output file path -> Click Browse
2. Set to path c:\epg\tvguide.xml
1. Click File -> Save As
2. Save the file as c:\epg\freeview.ini
1. Click Run -> Collect EPG Data
2. Do you want to use the parameters currently loaded to run the collection? [YES]
3. This takes around 2-5 minutes, wait
4. You should get a message popup box saying "The run completed successfully."
5. Assuming you did all the above correctly this should now of created a file called tvguide.xml in the c:\epg\ directory
Step 4 - Check
Browse to c:\epg\
Check you have the following 3 files
freeview.ini - created when we saved our configuration in step 3
tvguide.xml - created when we did a test run in step 3
xmltv.dtd - downloaded in step 1
Step 5 - Setup TV Server
Run TV Server Configuration
Expand [+] Plugins
1. Folder where tvguide is located (c:\epg\)
Browse to your tvguide.xml file
2. Setup the following tick boxes
[X] Import new tvguide.xml
[ ] Import files in new tvguide.1st
[X] Delete old programs before input
[ ] Apply time compensation
3. Click Force Import
TV-Server Configuration will become unresponsive for about minutes while the guide is imported
4. Now complete the Mappings tab below, after doing this click Import a second time, after you run the second import you should see the message "tvguide.xml:File imported successfully"
1. Click Load/Refresh
2. Check that "Tuning Channel" matches up with "Guide Channel"
3. Once you have adjusted any miss-matched channels click SAVE
4. Now go back to the general tab and click Import.
Click [OK] to close tv server configuration and save changes.
If you don't click OK then the changes will not be saved.
Goto into tvserver configuration once again and click import and check everything is working.
Now load up mediaportal and you should have a working tv guide :D
Step 6 - Schedule automatic EPG updates
Download update.zip and extract update.bat to c:\epg\update.bat
Press WIN+R and type cmd and press enter
Type cd c:\epg\ and press enter
Type update.bat and press enter
Check that there are no errors
Now set up a regular scheduled task in windows to run update.bat
update.bat expects the default install directory for epg collector to be
C:\Program Files\Geekzone\EPG Collector\epgcollector.exe (32bit)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Geekzone\EPG Collector\epgcollector.exe (64bit)
For more help visit
Message kiwijunglist on MP Forum