How to backup (and restore) your MediaPortal installation and files.
To fully backup MediaPortal you need to backup:
- MediaPortal and TV-Server Program files - i.e. Installation Directory
- MediaPortal and TV-Server User files - i.e. Configuration Directory which includes:
- Settings (saved in XML files e.g. MediaPortal.xml)
- TV channels, Radio stations and recording schedules (requires manual export)
For more information see Folders/File Locations
Note: In most cases you can only restore backups if you are using the same version of MediaPortal. See Restore section below for details.
Backup Settings - backup and restore all MediaPortal and TV-Server settings, or schedule backups.
If you have previously installed MediaPortal, the installer can make backups of both MediaPortal and TV-Server, but NOT TV channels, Radio stations and recording schedules. These require manual export see Manual Backup below for details.
Note: the backup options you select for MediaPortal setup apply to both MediaPortal and TV-Server
The Installer saves your settings. If you update MediaPortal again it will remember your backup options. That means if you did not enable backups previously you will not get automatic backups when reinstalling or updating MediaPortal.
- Installation directory - where your program files are installed: e.g.
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server
- Configuration Directory - AKA your 'User FIles' folder (excluding thumbs folder as it can be quite large)- e.g.
- C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal
- C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server
- Thumbs Directory - where most images for MediaPortal and extensions are stored, e.g.
- C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\Thumbs
Note: Thumbs for Recorded TV are saved to the folder you select for Recordings in TV-Server Setup > Recording. Channel logos are saved to the MediaPortal\thumbs\tv (or \Radio) folder, thus no separate setting for TV-Server thumbs is required.
The backup folders are named MediaPortal or MediaPortal TV Server, followed by _BACKUP_ and the date and time the backup was made, e.g.:
- Installation directory -
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal_BACKUP_[mm]-[yy]_[hh]-[mm]
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server_BACKUP_[mm]-[yy]_[hh]-[mm]
- Configuration Directory - with or without the \thumbs folder depending on the option you selected above
- C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal_BACKUP_[mm]-[yy]_[hh]-[mm]
- C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server_BACKUP_[mm]-[yy]_[hh]-[mm]
Change your Backup Settings
If you wish to change your backup settings:
- Go to your temporary MediaPortal Installation folder - e.g.
- C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Local\Temp\MediaPortal Installation
- Open the \deploy sub-folder
- Run package-mediaportal.exe
- The settings screen displayed above will display and allow you to change your backup options
Note: You may also access \deploy\package-mediaportal.exe by
- using 7-zip to open the MediaPortalSetup...exe you downloaded and extract the package file and run it
- accessing the package file where you stored it if you used the Download Only option in installer.
If you prefer, you can backup MediaPortal manually, and ensure all your old files are backed up and can be restored.
- Backup your User files (Configuration Directory):
- Go to the Windows Start Button > Programs > Team MediaPortal > MediaPortal > User Files
- Press the folder up button, you will get one level up in the folder tree, where you can now see the TV-Server user files folder (if installed), as well as backup folders of old installations of MediaPortal and/or TV-Server.
- Backup the folders you wish
- If TV-Server is installed, export your TV channels, Radio stations and recording schedules list
- Open TV-Server Configuration, go to TV Channels,
- Click the Export button on the bottom of the screen
- Save the XML file in a safe location (preferably not within your MediaPortal folders)
- Backup your Program Files
- Backup the Team MediaPortal program files folder e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\ which will include both MediaPortal and TV-Server (if installed)
Note: Restricted users are not able to write to the program files folder, so you may have to place the copy in another folder.
If you choose to uninstall MediaPortal, either through Control Panel or the uninstall shortcuts in the MediaPortal and TV-Server program groups, your backup files will not be deleted UNLESS you perform a Full Product Cleanup. See Uninstalling MediaPortal for details.
When installing a major new release of MediaPorta, a fresh install of MediaPortal is generally recommended for trouble free installation and use.
However you can safely restore the following from your backup folders:
- the MediaPortal Thumbs folder: C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\Thumbs
- TV and Radio Channels and recording schedules you exported under Manual backups above::
- Start TV-Server Configuration > TV-Channels > import button > select your exported xml file
- Previous recordings:
- Select the recording folder (see TV-Server Setup > Recording) where your recordings are stored
- TV-Server Configuration > Recording settings > Database import
DO NOT restore the following folders and files if you are using a different version of MediaPortal:
- InputDeviceMappings folder - e.g. C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\InputDeviceMappings
- Database folder - e.g C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\database
- All XML files in the Configuration folder: e.g. C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal
- Installation Folder (or any sub folders): e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal